Friday, January 26, 2018

Karen Algebra, wasn't that Anita Algebra's daughter?


My mother was always calling up and yabbering away about "Myrt's daughter Susan..." and "Harold Butz son Harry Jr."

"You remember Fat Hopkins, don't you?" she would start.  

No.

"Yes you do.  You met him that Christmas you came down with food poisoning from Taffy's crab dip."

Uncle Stanford (who was nicknamed Taffy by our daffy aunt) made crab dip?

"No!  Cookie.  You remember him, he won that trip to Lake Erie when he delivered the Marion Star. "

And it would go on and on. 

This ad reminded me of those conversations. 

The Husband had the same types of conversations with his mother.

"WELL, you remember my childhood friend Bosco who was killed in WWII?"

You mean the war that started twenty years before I was born?

But back to the ad. 

I know that they meant that the young woman taught "Karen" algebra, but that isn't the way it comes off. 

And I know that in return, Karen told her everything that she needed to know about that initial signal that womanhood was upon her. 

But what was the class that was held during the first period. 

Trust me, the nut doesn't fall far from the tree.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you! I'll be here all week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if she knows my friend, Susie Trigonometry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen Algebra's grandparents came over from the old country, their surname was X+4(8-1)=372. They had to change it to fit in.

    ReplyDelete