Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Bullock's Pasadena



So, tonight, on night four of this California adventure that has me trapped inside a major research library, and my hotel, on my drive back to Pasadena, it dawned on me that I have nothing to relax in.  Nothing!

And I have shot a couple thousands images in the past three days.   The project will help the library.  The project will help my career.   But its really intense.  Monday I worked six hours without a break.  No bathroom, no water. Yesterday and today I took enough of a break to get me through a quick pee and a V8.  And today, my mind fried out at 4PM.  It was too late to start a new volume.  So I gave myself permission to leave an hour early so I could head back to the hotel and relax.

But, I needed some "man lingerie".  You know, so I can relax in this room which is unrelaxing.

So I stopped Bullock's Pasadena.  Yes, I know it's "technically" a Macy's store.  But it is my favorite department store and the only Macy's where I will drop a dime.  First, it's not anywhere near a mall.  Secondly, Macy's has left the main floor, the elevators, and the top floor pretty much untouched, and it is lousy with that late 1940s California Glam look. 

You half expect to see Mildred and Veda to waiting for an elevator. 

BUt what shines in this building is the women's cosmetics area - seafoam green walls with banana leaf trees painted in forest green on the walls and the Men's department with its nautical theme and delightfully cool ship models.  Then there is the dark mahogany paneled walls.



This is what shopping used to do to make you feel special.

So I picked up some socks, and I bought a pair of lounge pants.  And I left feeling good. 

Which is surprising because I loathe Macy's, but I adore this store.

2 comments:

  1. This post makes me nostalgic for the regional department stores of my youth. Having grown up outside of Pittsburgh, a trip to Joseph Horne or Kauffmann's was special indeed. So much more differentiation than the mid-market vanilla-ization (I'm declaring that a real word) provided by Macy's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we had wanamakers, strawbridges, lits, gimbels, snellenburgs. all gone now. but what grand stores they were!

    ReplyDelete