Wednesday, October 7, 2009

ZAYRE you are: Northfield Road 1965












































If spelling was ever my forte, it would have been when I was three. According to my mother that was when I learned to spell Z A Y R E, the first word that I learn to spell. I remember the sign, which was HUGE and I remember that I was fascinated that a word began with "Z". The letters lit up one after another and then it blinked the whole word. I imagined that giants - and that could be the only solution in my little eyes - put those letters up there. So going to ZAYRE was a very big deal in my pea picking sized childlike brain.

Hell, back then going anywhere was a big deal.

6 comments:

  1. And its ZAYRE, not the reformulated "Zayre*"

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you saying it's Z-A-Y-R-E in all caps? boston had 'em too. rte. 1 dedham, if i remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the 1970s they went from being Z-A-Y-R-E to being Zayre*.

    By the way, if you are ever in Dedham, be sure to stop by that quaint little movie theater in the center of things there, and visit the Museum of Bad Art on its lower level. The gallery is in a room that you have to pass through on the way to the mens room. Its minutes of great laughs and miles of original works of art that are "bad".

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Massachusetts, of course, we split it into two syllables: "Za-yah" - or made it a plural: "Za-yahiz."

    ReplyDelete
  5. They were based in Natick, later Framingham. Next time we go to visit the inlaws in Wellesley I'll have to find the old Natick office location.

    ReplyDelete