Friday, March 13, 2020

A Delicate Balancing Act: When shopping becomes hoarding



So we all know what's going on in the world.

But what gets me is the hoarding at the grocery.

Folks, it is a delicate balancing act.  Buy what you need, leave what you don't.

I mean we have all been to buffet's at functions where people overload the plate with things they want, and they end throwing perfectly good food because their eyes were bigger than their stomachs.

If you don't eat canned hash, don't buy it.  If you eat tuna, buy what you need for the week and leave the six week supply behind.

If you don't have cats, leave the cat food behind.

We need level heads, common sense and not greed.

So look at the cart in front of you and ask yourself: "Do I need this."  If you don't take it to a store employee so they can wipe your germs off and then put it back where it needs to go.   If you are buying things that you would otherwise not buy or use, then your problem becomes a problem for others.

Hoarding doesn't give you a sound basis for happiness or well being.  It is literally the embodiment of selfishness.

Don't run up credit cards to buy crap you will not eat, and most likely throw away when this ends.

So let me state this once more, buy what you NEED and nothing more. 

Cookie is telling you, don't be that guy, that woman, that everyone hates.

10 comments:

  1. Cookie, this should be published for nationwide consumption. And posted at all places of food/supply places.

    Thank you darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fighting over toilet rolls has become a sport for some reason. It's ridiculous. As one old fella said on finding the shelves empty of loo roll at Iceland the other week: "Do they think the coronavirus makes them grow another arsehole, or what?"

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUCK YEAH! the panic has people acting like total assholes! a 4-pack of toilet paper lasts me 2-3 months; why would I hoard 100 rolls? jesus christ on a cracker, I hate stupid people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an anxious MF at the best of times, but I'm filled with dread at thought of doing weekly grocery shop tomorrow. If there are scenes of carnage and empty shelves, it just ramps-up the sense of panic. Gruesome times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will get through this. Humans are resilient. Trust me, this will be fine as long as people clam the fuck down. And they will.

      Delete
  5. Prepare don't panic.

    I have been in the grocery store shopping for my weekly food stuffs and maybe a pinch more.

    I have seen enough of folks shopping like they will not be let out of the house for months.

    Reminds me of living in DC when an inch of snow is predicted and folks run to the store and buy up all the milk, bread, and TOILET PAPER like they will be stuck in their homes for at least a month. Reality, worst case scenario maybe 2-3 days. GET A GRIP!

    I just counted. I have a roll on the spool and 4 rolls in the closet. This should last me well into the summer maybe more.

    WASH YOUR DAMN HANDS PEOPLE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, THIS is the heart of stopping the spread. WASH YOUR HANDS.

      Interestingly, when I worked for Mega Corporation Credit Union and I had to do a presentation at the new employee orientation, I used to go on after Dr. Infectious Diseases would remind new hires "DO NOT put your lunch in the Bio-hazard fridge," the one thing I learned that even the best hand sanitizers loses their effectiveness after five uses. "So WASH YOUR HANDS, dry them thoroughly."

      Delete
  6. Thank you for writing this! This is so crazy. WTF. I said to the husband, a year from now the Food barrels will be filled with all this crap that the greedy masses had to get, to "survive". The idiots have truly inherited the earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Conservative Republican women ovulate during coitus, like rabbits," my mother in insisted

      Delete