Saturday, May 12, 2018

New Computer, UGHS!

Remember when you thought no one would ever need more than 10mb?
It sucks getting this old, dude!


Cookie has come to the realization that it is most likely the time that money should be invested into another computer, and is here to state that he dreads this process.

The current computer was built way back in 2010 and, if it was a person, be wrapping up second grade.   But when I designed it - yes, Cookie does hardware - that I overbuilt the computer because I wanted to end the cycle of a new piece of junk every couple years.

So I have been shopping and I am shocked - SHOCKED I SAY - not at the new processor speeds - which are amazing, but to discover that desktops are now more expensive than comparable laptops!

For what I do, a laptop is a nice thing to have when I travel, it is not practical in the home office.

My head was literally SPINNING in MicroCenter.  Cookie only buys from a MicroCenter.  You can't beat the deals they have.   Well, you could, but if something goes wrong, you have to ship it someplace for warranty work.  Microcenter does it all.

Buying the beast isn't the bad part.  The bad part is moving everything over and replacing the programs you lose.

UGHS!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about Microcenter--their service is outstanding. These days a lot of people use a laptop instead of a desktop--it is feasible for most applications. I am going to look around this summer too for a new computer--my old one is ok spec-wise, but it overheats and crashes, not a good thing in Taiwan when the temperature hits 115F. Also, I'd prefer something English based. I get by in Mandarin, but don't relish the prospect of Chinese error messages when the computer has an arcane problem.

    Good luck with the hunt!
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. both my laptop and spouse's desktop came from microcenter. when spouse needed a new desktop last year, we called a guy (joe the nerd is his marketing gimmick) and he bought/set up/moved everything over for under $800. SUCK A BARGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a new computer (an All-In-One) about a year ago and still haven't moved everything over (too complicated!), so I now have two of the bloody things on my desk!

    Good luck, Cookie.

    ReplyDelete