Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Oh, the Angst...

 

All is normal on Facebook, as you see.

Did you hear it, last night before 8PM EDST? 

Facebook came back online. 

For better or worse, it has become the dominant communication platform.  Cookie uses it for work, others depend on it far too much. 

But the ANGST!

And the loser through all of this yesterday? 

Zuckerberg, sure - he lost about 5% of his net worth, on paper.  And institutional investors started dumping the stock, too. 

But it's his flying monkey, Sheryl Sandberg who is really on the hot seat.  

If Zuckerberg is King, Sandberg is Machevelian Cardinal.  He has the ideas, and she executes the ones that will reap the greatest profit. 

Her latest idea? Instagram for little girls.  Weeks after learning that Instagram is affecting the well-being of millions of teens, they want to sew doubt, questions of body image, and make the lives of children harder than they are now. 

The leak from a former employee charging that not only does Facebook fails at the job of stopping the bull shittery by allowing the bullshitery, because the bullshitery engages more people.  This may explain why the profiles that get reported as spewing false news, insults, and thinly veiled threats are never dealt with. 

Then there was the Wall Street Journal coverage of the whistleblower, the interview on 60Minutes last Sunday, and her testimony in front of the U.S. Senate today.  

Then the system went down yesterday faster than a hustler earning money from a trick.

And it stayed down. 

And Facebook had to use Twitter to get the closely guarded, carefully worded statement out that "Some people" couldn't access the platforms affected. 

It really is time for the government to step in a break this monster up.  

The public wants it.  

But the collapse yesterday of Facebook, Facebook Messenger, What's App, and Instagram proves that Facebook is in trouble, and that spells out trouble for every user. 

Break it up.




9 comments:

  1. The Daily Mash, as ever, hit the nail on the head.

    Nobody, and I repeat nobody "needs" to use F***book. They want to.

    I quit and ran years ago, before I went insane... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for the link gin blossom...twas brilliant as always.

      Delete
    2. Well, for better or worse, its the platform that that my professional pals and hometown peeps communicate through. Although I did enjoy yesterday.

      Whether you like it or hate it, its the community square at the moment until someone invents something better. And for Cookie, its been a godsend for getting clients and gigs.

      Delete
    3. Me too Cookie, hence the moral dilemma. On Instagram it's how I stay in contact with all my drag queen pals and sisters with direct messages and such.

      Delete
  2. I am not on Facebook, but do have a Instagram. I am very on the fence as to whether to keep it or dump it. I feel as though by me staying on, then Im condoning what goes on behind the scene there. If they go under, I won't lose any sleep. Its my bloggers like y'all that I really love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great many of my friends freaked out at me because when I heard the news, after FB came back up, I said:
    "I didn't know it was down."
    I am leaning toward dumping FB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know FB was down until mid-evening. I had tried to check it earlier in the day. It didn't work and I was busy with other stuff. I didn't miss it. A world without FB could be pretty nice. We lived without it for a long, long time. I use it now to post links to my blog posts. I have some readers who only access my blog that way.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Destroy it all. That type of social media is dangerous and I am beginning to think Zuckerberg actually is either an alien from outer space or a robot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When any Monopoly has no Checks and Balances it becomes dangerous to it's Public and isn't Serving Society well at all. It's not that anything done for profit doesn't have it's insidious side for their bottom line benefits, which is always a For-Profit-Corporations interest really, let us be Real about that. But, so many of these Billionaire Boys Clubs are being above the Law and our Govt. panders to them so much I have to believe kickbacks are being made to line the pockets of far too many that could do something about it all... and of coarse won't since it's their Golden Goose and they sure want their Golden Eggs, don't they? Follow the Money, it will lead to where it will reveal the fuckery.

    ReplyDelete