Saturday, August 31, 2019

When you are a fan, you are a fan

The husband and I have a Saturday ritual to remind us that we are still Ohioans at heart.  Once or even twice a month, if we lie carefully to our cardiologists, we go to McDonald's for junk food.

We never patronize the one north of Towson because it has a vibe that we don't like.  Same for the one in Govans, which always seems to have mourners from the Funeral Home across the street ducking in for a snack. 

"Did you see how they made up Auntie?  The veil on that hat needs to bee down.  What's the point of having a net vail on that hat if they ain't gonna bury her with it up?"

So we go to another nearby one.  Unlike Columbus where you have fast food on any block on any main drag, in Baltimore it can be a hike.  So today we hiked east.

We were seated and waiting for the food and starting to people watch - because its great people watching this McDonald's - when I needed something from the counter.  When I got there, there was a wait, of course.  And I turn and to my left is Mink Stole. 

I looked and smiled and played it cool.  I see Mink at the market.  But I also see Maryland's legendary Senator Barbara Mikulski.  I see lots of people around here.  So I get what I need, go back to the table and tell the husband.

His response?  He arches his eyebrow.   "Really?"

He looked between the legs of a clown made of helium-filled balloons and says "Her hair is a bit different.  But yup, that's her."

So I do what any person would do.  I post about the sighting on Facebook.

"Mink Stole is at McDonald's.  She took her seat.  And now she is enjoying a cheeseburger.  And no, I am not taking her picture." 

And the comments start rolling in. 

"Really?  Please take a picture," comments DB, a woman that the Husband and I went to college with at Muskingum back in the 1980s.

The Husband says "Really?  DB knows who Mink is?  That's odd.  I mean, odd.

There are a couple more posts from people who want a picture.  Which I am not taking in McDonald's because we all get to enjoy our cheeseburgers in peace.

Someone else says "I would never think of a Mink Stole at a McDonald's.  But that's Baltimore for you."

I updated, "Finished with the cheeseburger.  Now enjoying an icy cold Coca Cola."

I updated again, "Finished, now she's throwing out her trash."  That I took a picture of.

Yes, that is the Mink Stole

Finally my friend Patrick posts in and says "Cookie, I don't think a lot of your friends know Who Mink Stole is, and that it's a person, not apparel."

I posted a couple YouTube videos - Dottie Hinkle amongst them.

That, right there stopped the fashion comments.

I really wanted to stand up and scream "PUSSY WILLOW" but it would have been rude. 

There were some followup comments.  We got up to leave as well.

One was from a childhood friend in Shaker Heights who wrote: "What are you doing in a McDonald's?"

My response?  "What do you think? Going through the trash looking for that cheeseburger wrapper."

When you are a fan, you are a fan.

7 comments:

  1. WHOA! mink stole! and sometimes barbara mikulski! FABU! and is that your hubby sort-of photobombing the pix?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mink Stole was an incredible scene-stealer, and great in every role. A bit of luck running into her, one which somehow underlines the difference between Cleveland and Baltimore.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. Not that Cleveland doesn't have its full share of unique and great features!

      Delete
  3. "This is show business, young lady!” - Tammy Turner

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, I'd know Mink, but I wouldn't know Barbara. 1-2 x / mo at McDs? Brave man. I think I go about 3x /yr. That seems to be enough for me. But I suppose it's like childbirth. You forget what it's like and you end up going back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much more exciting than the political "celebrity" sightings we get in Washington!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I wouldn't suck your lousy dick if I was suffocating and there was oxygen in your balls!" - Taffy Davenport

    So, we really only have a handful of famous people in town. I recently saw a good looking man at the Grocery store. He had on a "say something" fabric belt. Loud pattern. I thought to myself, "hey girl" and caught a glimpse of him as I walked past and realized it was Joe Scarborough from "Morning Joe". I found what I needed and headed to the checkout, when I passed him again, a rail thin icy blonde was striding up toward him admiring some utensil. I did a double take. It was Mika, his wife and co-host.

    ReplyDelete