Friday, August 2, 2019

If I ever see this woman at a another conference....




I would love to get my hands on that hair.


...I am leaving.

Cookie was at a huge conference this past week, and everywhere I went, this was the person I had to deal with.  The problem was that she was rude, loud, obnoxious, dismissive, passive-aggressive, negative, and uncouth.

She thought she was "all that".

But she wasn't.

She was the worst of human beings.

Take this picture.  It was not our first encounter.  I got to my session room for the ed session I selected for that hour and sat down on the seat in the back of the room, last row.  There was probably another fifty behind me to the ballroom doors.  I sat there for five minutes before Miss Charming showed up.  She stops, looks at me and says "Great, I was going to sit in that seat because I am only staying for twenty minutes, and you are there taking up two spaces."

In truth, I was taking up two spaces.

My backpack was on the seat next to me.  Why was I taking up two spaces, well, the backpack has a tendency to fall over, and the rest of the room, with chairs for 400 people, only had about 50 in it.  There were rows of empty seats.

Cookie was dumbstruck.  There were 350 seats in that room that were empty, but I had to go an upset her applecart by taking those two seats that didn't have her name on them.  Silly me.

As I said, this was not my first encounter with this Hellkite.  So I just looked at her and just smiled.  She was expecting something to create drama over and from me she just got crickets.   Drove her insane, so she sat in front of me.

The day after this encounter, she plopped herself down at a luncheon table I was seated at.  I was guest and had been given the seat by a Board member who was courting my future participation.  No sooner than she shoved a roll in her pie hole, my host returned to the table and said: "Muriel, this table is for Board members and guests."  Muriel picked up the salt and loaded up her salad and said "well they can sit someplace else."

That afternoon was my last at the conference and the next two sessions, there was Muriel.

In one session, the speaker instructed Muriel to put her phone down and not take pictures of the slides.  In another - technical writing - Muriel argued with the speaker that footnotes and citations were the same things.  They are not.

When I was checking out the hotel, there is Muriel again.  This time she looked at me and said "Oh, leaving so soon," in a voice dripping with passive-aggressiveness.

I smiled and walked by to waiting car.  I was not charmed by Muriel, and I wasn't going to engage her.

Look, I understand that it takes all kinds, but the woman was vile.  From my first interaction to my last.  My friend Katy said that Muriel was top of her game in her career. 

"Is she a Leona Helmsley impersonator?  Keeper of the Hellhounds for Gozor?"

I told the husband that if I ever encounter her again, all bets are off, I am leaving.

A little Muriel goes a long, long way.





13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. She was. She was at the registration area, in my classes, in the halls. In the exhibit hall, her voice carried. She dominated the ed sessions by telling the speaker about things that the speaker was hired to speak on. She was like Sylvia in The Women, but Sylvia was wonderfully played by Rosalind Russell. This broad had all the charm of a tanked up Pat Ast.

      Delete
  2. It's tough to put a Muriel down. At least so that she stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find a blunderbuss is fairly effective. Jx

      Delete
    2. A blunderbuss is not only a an effective weapon, but a wonderful word, too.

      Delete
  3. JFC, what a fucking bitchcunt! she ain't all that AND that hair! a rat's nest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surte she gets it "done" at a place where all cuts at $18, no appointment necessary.

      Delete
  4. You didn't even have to explain anything dear. That hair cut said it all. I thought it was dear Dina Martina at first, but even she has style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i SOOOOO wish I could have been there........for mutliple reasons. Not it's multiple reasons + Muriel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But darling, there is strength in numbers. But alas, it was just me and her and the screaming going on inside of my head.

      Delete
  6. At the top of her game you say. Maybe she believes this gives her cart blanche in what she does.

    I always want to take apart, physiologically, people like this. What makes them tick. What makes them believe that the world revolves around them. I heard it once said "We act like when we were 4." is that true?

    I believe if/when enough people confront her, not tolerate such behavior, she might reconsider her actions. Maybe not. She just might live for this. "Bless Her Heart!"

    I must admit that folks like this are tiresome. Literally. Better let them stew in their own mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you know, I thought that it would be an interesting person to engage, a little cat and mouse. But no. She was singularly that off putting.

      Delete