Friday, April 20, 2018

Mr. Sneakers



Found this on the Face of Books and it took me back - way back to my early, early childhood.

Cleveland had three major department stores that I can remember in my life.  May Company.  Higbee's. And The Halle Brother's Company, aka Halle's.

But The May Company's "May's on the Heights" store - quite possibly one of the largest standalone departments stores built outside of a downtown area was near our house by about 10 minutes.

While I am happy to report that Mr. Sneakers and I never made an acquaintance that I recall. the ad does feature the childhood tennis shoe brands of choice for those us born in the Eisenhower and Kennedy years, namely Converse, Red Ball Jets and PF Flyers.

I was a Red Ball Jets child until I graduated to PF Flyers.  Converse was not the shoe for flat footed kids like myself.

By the way, the "PF" in the PF Flyers name?  Stood for Posture Foundation.

I do not, however, remember "Little Abernathy".

3 comments:

  1. we had keds sneakers. and that "mr. sneekers" clown is nightmare fuel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mother left my bratty sister (one of them) at May Co store, as a lesson. I don't think it took.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The May Co. chain no longer exists in Cleveland.

    ReplyDelete