So I guess we are out of miracles and POTUS-e will soon be sworn in as the POTUS, and Cookie has resolved not to normalize it, but at the same time, Cookie plans to stay busy, stay offline and tackle all the unpleasant bits and pieces of life.
So starting at about 11 am, all of the TV's in the house go off.
At 12:30, I shall hang the American flag outside, upside down.
At 12:35, I shall begin cleaning all of the bathrooms in Cookie Manor
At 1:35, I shall break for lunch, tuning the TV to TCM for what I hope is some escapism.
The rest of the afternoon will be spent on the computer cleaning up genealogy files and scanning pictures.
For the rest of the night, my husband I will light a fire and honor Denmark and its tradition of "hygee" - that is staying safe, warm and cozy.
Verily, the world will change by the next morning and we will be able to wake up and see what the new POTUS is doing or has done to us.
Look, I know that the situation looks dire, but now is the time to do the following:
- Take a deep breath and not to panic.
- FIGHT for the rights of a free press, one that is not muzzled by the White House
- Befriend someone who is in one of the targeted minority. Let them know that you care.
- If you have children, explain to them that they are safe. Kid pick up on the stress in adults. Don't weird kids out.
- Don't engage in a debate with a Trumpet. Like the musical instrument played by someone who doesn't know what they are doing, it can be loud, obnoxious and deafening.
- Watch what you say on Facebook and to whom you are speaking. It is not about being afraid to be truthful - stay truthful - just know your audience, because there are people itching for a fight and no one wins in an online cat fight.
- Support the people who are supporting the people of this nation. Legislators who are taking on the tough issues.
- Try not to turn this into an us v. we thing. Trust me - there are a whole lot of people who voted for the POTUS-e who did it because they were swept up on the anti Hillary thing more than they were pro-Trump. They can be led back to the side of facts, rationality and voter sanity.
- Get involved in local politics. Why local? Because it is true that all politics are local. Local parties select the delegates to national conventions. Local political parties get the work done. Local parties control the state party. And the state party controls the roll of national parties. GET INVOLVED NOW.
And MOST IMPORTANTLY - we have to prepare for a difficult two to four years. Remember that.
And remember, if the POTUS insults someone, something, an issue, or whatever, support it. If it pisses him off, then it must be good.
Being a good American means more than beating ones chest and chanting USA, USA, USA. It means standing up for what is righteous and good for all people in this country.