Monday, December 10, 2018

God Damn it: Jury Service



One of the BIGGEST things I hate... HATE about Baltimore (city of) is that it is its own county, separate from Baltimore County which surrounds it on three sides.

And because of this being the City of Baltimore, where everything is - and if it isn't, just wait - fucked up, is their jury service policy and procedures. 

Back in the Midwest, jury service is a two-week term, that you can only be called on to serve every two years.  What nice about that, after the initial aggravation, is that you get a rhythm two it. If you notice says you are to report Monday, June 1st, you go on Monday, June 1st.  And if you aren't called by the second Thursday of service, noon, they let you go.  And when you walk out, if you serve on an actual jury or not, you get a "Certificate" that gets you out of jury duty for the next two years!

IN BALTIMORE, however, it's one day, and you can be called once a year. Only if you are selected for a jury do you get a one year exception to serving again in the a one year period.  Furthermore, after getting the notice, your life hangs in the balance until 5PM the day before, because that is when you call in to see if your "Block" of numbers have been called. 

So let's say that you are assigned draw number 5312, for Thursday, December 27, 2019.  You don't report until you, and hundreds of other people, all call at the same time.  You have to listen to this gawdawful recording, that goes on and on and on.  Then they get to the numbers "If your jury number is between muffle muffle muffle and 8000, you will report tomorrow at 8:00am..."

So you have to call, and go through the same bullshit again and hope that the record doesn't get mucked up.   And you listen and the voice says 5500 and 8000 - YOU ARE IN THE CLEAR.

But if the voice says 5000 and whatever fucking number is greater than you, THEN you go.

And parking is a hassle - because they don't have a decent mass transit system here - and the traffic and the security, and on and on.

Most of the time they don't select me during the questioning.  But you still have to report to the court to be part of voir dire, or selection process.  Sometimes you can be in there for hours with nothing to do but watch the judge and the lawyers talk and ruffle papers.  If you get selected, then great - you know what your purpose is.  If not, you have to return to the Jury room and wait to be called again. But the absolute worst is being chosen an alternate.  Because you have to be there, paying attention to everything, without being able to decide the outcome. 

I usually don't get chosen.  My father was a lawyer, my brothers are lawyers, my cousins are lawyers, my best friend is a lawyer and represents the alleged defendant in capital crimes trials.  I have been to paralegal school. I have worked as a paralegal.  I have gone into juvenile prisons to interview the "yutes" about their conditions of confinement and give them information on the progress of their early release petitions.  (More than usual, they don't get out early unless they have made enormous strides in their treatment and in their education.)  And I have a bias; which is, if someone has prior convictions on a crime of opportunity, then they more likely to re-offend again.  Its a fact of psychology - past behaviors are a good prediction of future behaviors.

Is that fair to Defendent?  It is if you get it all out there during your voir dire, then you have been honest.

I also cannot serve on juries involving sexual or physical abuse of a child, because I was one as a child.  PTSD and all, Defendant may be innocent, may be guilty, but I literally had too much skin that game.  And besides a victim of a crime should never be asked to determine the guilt or innocence of someone accused of that crime because the chance of projecting yourself as the victim is way too great.  In my mind, they are guilty until proven innocent.  And that doesn't mean a fair trial them.

And for your time, effort and expenses, you get paid an amount less than the parking rates.

It's not that I mind jury service, just tell me how many days, and what day to report so I can make life plans.  But this one day a year lottery that they run is not only a drag but its stressful.  I could get out of it by unregistering to vote.  But given the way things are going, in this nation, that isn't a smart move.

So sometime in the next 30 days, I will be locked up in a room awaiting someone to call my number, and then pay an outragous amount to park my car.  No fun.

6 comments:

  1. It all sounds like a nightmare. I recently was remembering how easy it was to park in downtown Cleveland or at University Circle, usually for free and with little trouble. No more--it's gotten to the point where I am giving away my age by remembering when parking was simple!
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I was called for Jury Duty was probably 15 years ago. At that time during voir dire, it was made clear that I not only knew the defense attorney and the prosecutor, but also, the judge, 2 of the bailiffs and the court reporter! Fortunately, I did not know the defendant. I've not been called since. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I have been very lucky - I've never (yet) been called for jury service, anywhere I've lived. Despite having seen Twelve Angry Men and listened to the Tony Hancock comedy version, I doubt it's anything like real life, and you have confirmed that fact... Being called once a year? Bureaucracy gone mad. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I served once on a civil trial; 1.5 days. we the jury ruled for the defendant. the other party's lawyer was a mess and the complainant shot herself in the foot (not literally) by her actions in the courtroom.

    parking is not possible around my county courthouse; but a SEPTA bus passes by my front door AND the courthouse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been three times: once in Sacramento, once in Miami, and once in Smallvile. And I always get picked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last jury I sat on was a civil case, in Ohio. And in Ohio, if you admit fault in an auto accident, you are entitled to sue the person who admitted fault, and you are entitled to an award. Our case was the third time this case had gone to trial because the two previous juries didn't give the guy a penny. And they didn't give the guy a penny because the statue of limitations was almost up (three years) before he had an issue and saw a doctor. We didn't want to give him more than a dollar. But cooler heads prevailed, so we added up his medical bills, covered those, and then we gave him one dollar above that amount. Had be really been in pain, and it was anything but "slip and fall" expert testifying, it might have been more. And that was my point. The expert in the video was most likely the type of expert who is relied upon by plaintiff's counsel, thus he was going to say anything favorable to help defendant, so his testimony was tainted in my eyes, and the others agreed. I enjoyed that experience.

    ReplyDelete