Saturday, August 25, 2018

Are you a guy who craves "Golden Nectar"? Tant pis.



Why yes, my mind has joined Norma's in the gutter.  Seriously, you mention "golden nectar" in gay circles and ice cold Kool-Aid is not the first thing that comes to mind.  No, the nectar that they are noodling about is warm.

It's not my thing to drink but to each his own.

There are advocates for its ingestion.  There are also those who enjoy eating eel.  Both give me the cold willies.  Trouser snake is my preference.

Growing up, I never would have tried this beverage, the Kool-Aid kind.  I never drank anything this color unless I was running a fever, barfing up everything and the doctor told my mother to ladle Vernors Ginger Ale down my throat.  To this day, it reminds me of being deathly ill and my parents trying to make me even sicker.  Nasty business, that.

All this comes up because I was reading today and the phrase "tant pis" came up.  It isn't often that it does, but it did.   And English teacher taught us the phrase because some classic had the phrase in it and one of the boys in class want ed to know "What's wrong with Horatio?  He can't piss."

For those of you who don't know, "tant pis" (taun pee) is a French phrase "Oh, well" as in "You can't get me a table for seven at eight? Tant pis."

 It's inverse is "tant mieux" which means "so much the better."

"You can't get us in at eight, but you can at 8:15? Tant mieux!  Excellent!"

There, I have given you two new phrases, and some vivid sexual things to think about.  Now go out and use "tant pis" and don't piss it away.


11 comments:

  1. taint my thing either. the only yellow drink I touch is REAL lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were talking with neighbor who has adopted two elderly dogs found chained together on a New York street (don't get me started on what kind of miserable person would do that to any dog, let alone these darlings) and one of the males loves to tinkle and mark. So they sell these belts that you can wrap around them and it does two things. First it makes them feel like they don't need to pee, and if they do, it just absorbs it, like a Depends. "Do you insert a new pad?" Asks I. "No, you wash them out. Urine is just water...". Uh, no. Its dog pee.

      Delete
  2. Heaven only knows how the phrase came about, since the literal translation of "pis" is "udder"... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eel is delicious! You need to try it again. In Taiwan you can get it many ways, canned like tuna, or fresh--there are even some restaurants that specialize in eel dinners.

    Being from Cleveland, you might remember the prominent Eells family. I was never certain how to pronounce that --'eels' or 'ells'. Here is the story and photos of their mansion of Euclid Avenue: https://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/817
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://images.ulib.csuohio.edu/cdm/ref/collection/press/id/1256

      Delete
  4. I don't have a problem with the color (I am NOT clicking on that link), I have a problem with the name. What the hell was the flavor? I hate names of lipsticks and such that give you no clue of the color. My russet #5 wall paint is in fact a dulled hot pink! Pretty, but kind of odd with my African décor :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Names like"Radiance Splendide", "Catch As Can-Can", and "Autonminal Aqua"? Becuase nothing says autumn like green blue green, right?

      Delete
  5. Speaking of, "the gutter," rewatch the opening of, "Sunset Boulevard."
    It begins in the gutter.

    ReplyDelete