Wednesday, January 31, 2024

How much?

 


Today was a lot like the movie Ground Hog Day. Get up, find strange men in the backyard putting up the fence to keep the dogs in and the deer out, being miserly with water, cursing the sewer line, and on and on...

We got the estimate from the plumber.  Well, let's just say it isn't as much as the worst possible number, but it came close at $1X,XXX.68

That's a lot to deal with.  In any event, the work starts early next week.  And the good news is that they won't be working in the rain. 

But they are going to be digging a whole lot of digging. 

Anyway, the utility marking people were here and the good news is that the gas line was not laid over top of the sanitary, so that's good.  And the gas line is nowhere near the sanitary sewer, so that's good. 

The downside to this is my hope of attending Roots Tech in Salt Lake City no longer exists, along with the new car I hoped would be on its way over the next three years.  So it looks like the Doodlebug will have to keep itself together until 2029.

On the plus side, a friend of mine that I met in Kindergarten came over for coffee, and we realized that it has been a half-century since she came over to my house to play!

So while I feel horrible about this expense, things could be worse.  I could have no friends left from Mrs. Bauter's kindergarten.  And that would be a shame. 

And here is the best news in the world: Ground Hog Day really is less than 48 hours away, and Ground Hog Day is Cookie's first day of Spring.  

6 comments:

  1. First day of Spring? In February?! Gosh. Here in the UK. we expect this to be the most dismal of all winter months. It rarely disappoints...

    Sorry to hear about your continuing "sewer woes". Surely whoever did the property survey before you bought the house has a case to answer?! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way I see it, emotionally, we are closer to March 20/21, the Iris poke the tips of their leaves up and out, the skunk cabbage will bloom soon, and the days are noticeably longer. The maple sap will start to run soon, and the Charden, Ohio, the taps and the sugar shacks are being checked. The weather here can be as miserable as ever, but Mother Nature knows that she can only sleep so long. The question being, will she get up on time or keep hitting the snooze button.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on a somewhat manageable ugly number on your sewer line connection! Gratitude also that apparently to date the sewer line effluent has not taken hostages. It is interesting how and where one finds relief and joy as one gets older.

    You've reminded me that I must do something about the siding and floor furnaces this year.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have been a catastrophic amount. I feel that we are lucky. And I also trust this plumber to fix it instead of screwing around and messing it up. All things being what they are, we are lucky.

      Delete
  3. Before I left Cleveland, I had a chance of buying the house I was living in, passing up which I sometimes regret, but I knew the necessary work would involve grading and digging in the yard (things with which I never had much experience), as well as the removal of several very large trees. As your example proves, even "minor" digging involves major expense, and additionally I knew there was a disused, buried oil tank in the yard, ticking like a time bomb.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had an oil tank in the basement and someone gave me the name of this guy would would pay me to remove the thing, but he got to keep the heating oil. Sure enough, drained the tank, cut up and it was gone. Apparently he hadn't paid for heating oil for his house in years, and had a metal shop on the side. But an inground tank? That is a different animal all together.

      Delete