Monday, January 16, 2023

Recovering, covering up, and "It's in the bag, man."



Hello My Pretties,

This is Cookie, who is now one week and a day out from my cancer surgery.  I am here to tell you that all things considered, I am healing and feeling pretty fine. 

Last Monday was the operation and I must tell you, it was rough.  Well, it could have been a whole lot worse. They were able to use the DaVinci robot to cut out the involved prostate and reattach the pee pipe to the bladder - there was a chance that wouldn't happen because of previous abdominal scarring.  

The Cancer (because Cookie has lived in central and Southern, Ohio - we have to use the article in front of the disease noun - as in The Cancer, The Sugar, etc., and of course, et. al.) and some lymph nodes were sent to the lab, we get those results tomorrow.  

I was glued up, a drain inserted and stitched into place, brought to, and remarkably had no sore throat from the anesthesia tube.  I guess it was forty years of practice that paid off.  What hurt like Hell was the trunk of my body.  

Dear God!  

The pain from the CO2 that they fill you up with was excruciating.  I felt like Mr. Tropogrosso!

The worst of the worst is the exterior plumbing. Because they have to attach the pee tube back to the bladder, you have to have a catheter (NOT a Sureflo unit, and I did not have a buttocks drape either) and an external collection bag. They don't want the bladder to spasm, and they don't want the bladder to blow up with urine like a water balloon, yet.  So I have spent a week with three feet of tubing attached to the collection vessel (the bag).

The catheter itself is rubber and has a small balloon inflated in the bladder to keep it from pulling out.  It's not comfortable.  The figurative "pain in the ass" is the tube that connects the catheter to the bag.  The plastic tubing has a mind of its own.  It keeps wanting to twist and coil back into its original shape.  

Verily, it will not be denied. 

In the hospital, it was no problem, because you have people to help you deal with it, and IV poles for the bags of fluids, and you can hang it from when you have to walk the halls.  And yes, I was up walking the halls within three hours of the surgery.  But the tubing isn't a problem. because it's attached to the pole, which is on wheels, and around you go.  

But at home? No pole.  

This makes wearing pants next to impossible.  So I have spent the week in my husband's boxers while I sit around the house.  But because I need to walk up and down the street, that means stuffing said bag and non-compliant tubing into the large of some baggy pants.   And that makes for a look that gets second looks from people driving by or neighbors out for their walks. 

Add all of this up and you can't sleep well.  You are propped up on your back at odd angles.

My diet is pretty limited - soft food and semi-soft food. So lots of soups. Chicken soup is going in and out by the gallons because it's nourishing and surprisingly restorative.  I was able to have a crab cake because this is Maryland and crab cakes are our official food of choice, and a God-given right. 

But now the neighbors are sending food, and I am grateful, but they are sending gallons of Chicken soup.  I keep telling myself: soup is a meal and a liquid...soup is a food and a liquid...hydration is good...

I should start clucking soon. 

Soon, the catheter and I will part company, and we'll get the lab results.  I could pull it out at home, said the doctor.  And I replied "I couldn't but I won't."  I have had a catheter removed about eight years ago, and it wasn't something I was prepared for and I am glad of that.  So no, Dr. Surgeon is removing that clown car. 

The good news would be no spread, nothing in the margins, and nothing in the lymph system.  That means that I will have quarterly PSA tests (blood work), and that will reduce over the next five years.   The bad news is something in the margins, or something in the lymph system, which could mean radiation and chemo. 

Either way, you may not hear from me for a week or so because, and frankly, I am exhausted. 

Now all of you men out there, go to your doctor and get a PSA test. Seriously.  All of the above was but a minor nuisance compared to how this could have gone had I ignored the problem.  And I was that lucky because I insisted on them doing the damned test.   I watched my uncle die from this cancer as it spread through his body at 65, and I am determined that will not be me.  Oh, something will get us all one day, but it won't be prostate cancer.   

So don't let it happen to you.  Better to battle a bag for a week to ten days than to end up on a morphine drip headed into eternity. 

13 comments:

  1. You have plenty of cause for optimism, having now gone through all that you've been through. I'm proud of you, and for your wise warnings for all men to at least get a blood test (PSA). Here in the UK, over a certain age, we get tested as part of a regular "health check", and for that I'm very grateful. No test is foolproof, of course, but it's better than not having any test at all.

    Keep on taking the chicken soup and giving those neighbours a double-take with your impressive bulge 😜! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditch the boxers and let the Cookie Monster fly free while you're at home.

    Thank goodness you're on the road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, as I read this post I thought of the photo of the Cookie Monster that adorns Infomaniac. Nothing deserves to live and thrive more than that cock.

      Delete
    2. I had a lot of fun with that cock, not to mention pleasure. It isn't to say it shall not rise nevermore, but it won't be the same, either.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this, yet thrilled it was caught early!
    ♥️♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you darling. Early detection, and treatment, is everything.

      Delete
  4. Chicken soup for the soul... EEEK. Hope you're feeling fine and safer. Wishing you the best as you recover. In your downtime? Consider taking up a new hobby like.... blogging? It's very low impact - at least it is the way I do it :) KIZZES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know - I am tolerating this post surgical period well, all things considered. I could enter pissing contests against anyone two-thirds my age and beat them by a foot now.

      Delete
  5. THE cancer is a bitch. When I worked in a nursing home, some of the aids "accidentally" pulled out a male patient's catheter. It was not pleasant for him and I never understood how it happened, but I think you're wise to let the doctor take out the catheter. I love chicken soup. You can send me your extras.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. for your walks up and down the street? someone should edit all those Ring doorbell videos together. : ). I am very glad you're on the road to recovery. It's not always pretty, but it's the right way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. It was the rational smart decision. But I will miss my days of my youth.

      Delete
  7. What a terrible ordeal to go through. I hope that you get well soon, and that 2023 will afterwards be a healthy year for you. --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - 2023 I hope will be everyone's year of better fortune.

      Delete