Friday, January 29, 2021

Just because you can, you shouldn't

 


Just because you can doesn't mean you should, mother always said just as I was about ready to jam a knife into an electrical socket.   

"The results could be shocking," she'd add. 

And here we have something that meets that definition.   Just like New Shimmer is a floor wax and a dessert topping, we have a can opener that is also a clock.

AND a TIMER!  And they say you'll love it. (Or else.)

Does anyone really need this? No.  But do we want one? Admit it: YES!

Because God only knows how badly Cookie needs a buzzer going off when it's time to open a can. 

"Honey, did you remember to open that can of green beans at 4:18?"

"Oh, sugar. No! It's 4:30. NOW the dinner casserole will really be late!"

And it's an accurate clock so I will never be late again!

"Honey, what time is our reservation at Chez Horrour?"

"I don't know, let me check the can opener!"  

How many times do you hear that today?  I know, not nearly enough. 

And just look at the name!  

CAN-O-MATIC!

Because as everyone knows, EVERYTHING is better when "-O-" is in between two words.  It's a fact.  Don't challenge me on this. 

And yes, there is MORE!

The people who build this build the MOST BEAUTIFUL CAN OPENERS MADE*. 

It has everything.  Beauty. Utility. And it includes other bonus features. A plug. A sharp blade. And a clock. 

Who could ask for anything more? 

How about a chef to do the cooking? 

Tell me, how would you use this indispensable device?


*Don't tell this to the French.  They no doubt have a can opener that is also a car.  They do!  The Panhard Dyna. (Can oper's in the glove box.)


7 comments:

  1. LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING FROM THE 50S. BET IT WAS BUILT TO LAST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd use it as a door-stop. Maybe a weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if anyone ever bought one of these stupid things? Uh - of course they did, otherwise we'd never have had Ronco, the last home of shit gadgets! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need a can opener that does laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that no one used this as a bedside alarm clock. Pressing the "snooze" button when half asleep could result in some unanticipated consequences.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. "indispensable device"? Never heard of 'em. I'm sure we're not related.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, the Gadgets of Yesteryear, so Nostalgic and campy. I bet that indispensable device would be worth a fortune in an Antique Store now, how many do you suppose they made before it flopped?

    ReplyDelete