Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Year end

 


2020.  Yes, it was that bad. Oy!

Cookie started off 2020 deathly ill.  It was not your normal flu event. High fever, trouble breathing horrible cough, chest tightness, loss of taste and smell, and a thirty-pound weight loss because nothing smelled good or tasted like anything.   The doctor said, "Oh, there are numerous flu virus' floating around, I would monitor it and let it run its course."

The virus started in mid-December, peaked after Christmas, and then came back with a vengeance in the week between Christmas and New Years'.  It abated at the end of the first week of January, and then came back again for final linger blow. 

I have asked if it could have been COVID, but the doctor seemed non-plussed in February.   We still don't know. 

And that's how the rest of 2020 went for Cookie. Sealed off except for the husband, and chats friends only at a distance, this year would go down as the worst in our collective lives - because we are all in it together. 

And then there is the Presidential Election.  The ultimate stressor. 

And then there is the current president - who isn't doing his job and doesn't deserve a capital "P".  What a grotesque and vile version of the leader of the "free" world.

Anyhow, there is enough about him. 

On the COVID topic, Cookie received some bitter news today. 

In 2019 I contracted with a genealogical society to speak at the annual meeting in May 2020.  Well, we in COVID lockdown mode when that rolled around and Cookie was in lockdown because of Asthma and breathing issues left over from the "flu".  The doctors forbade travel except for the grocer, the doctor, or walking the dogs.   So I contacted the person who hired me and said I couldn't fulfill the contract. 

I was doing this pro-Bono, so no money had changed hands when I made the call on March 31st not to do the gig.  EVERYTHING was on lockdown by that point, but the client insisted I reconsider. 

Then the first spike really took off.  And Cookie reconsidered and said no, again.

"But it isn't bad here," said they. 

Cookie refused to become a possible Covid-Cookie posterchild.  And there were frustrating feelings.  Someone wasn't taking this for as dire as it was.  And in fact, on March 31st it wasn't that bad where they were. 

But it certainly was getting very bad, very fast, elsewhere.   And it still is.

Today, I found out that this person and their spouse both came down with the disease, and both were hospitalized.  That's the bitter news.  

I hate, hate, hate finding out that people I like are hurting. With this virus, I hate that people are hurting, period.  Damn this disease. Damn it to Hell. 

Sometimes I wonder if we will ever beat it back.   Yes, I know that there are vaccines - and Cookie will get right in line when told to do so and I will gladly take it.  I worry though that person will not get the second shot.  I worry that they will think they are invincible having gotten the vaccine.  It doesn't prevent you from carrying it, it's designed so if you get it, hopefully, you can shrug it off faster. 

So I guess you know what is in Cookie's mind. All the time.  If it's not COVID, it's the person in the White House and those who would undermine the election. 

But we have hope. 

A new year is always the start of new hope, better things to come, more and better Joy, and less OY!  

And mine, for myself, the people I love, the people I know and the people I don't are that 2021 will end on a higher note. 

 

13 comments:

  1. It's been a sorry excuse for a year, all round. I spit on 2020 - but with vaccines, your new Prez, and our exit from the EU with a deal to buck us up, 2021 can only be better. Can't it?

    HNY, Cookie, dear! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so want him in retirement. All but the lunatic fringe do. May the end of the new year be good to us all.

      Delete
  2. both spouse and I have tested covid-negative and wish to remain so. 2021 HAS to be better, with uncle joe and vaccines. I wish the best for you and your husband, cookie. here's hoping we can meet up in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fingers are crossed on that meeting up idea. We're only about an hour away from one and other.

      Delete
  3. I think the aftermath and consequences of 2020 will be with us for a long time, but a new year does bring new hope, and that will be enough to give us a good start and get us through.
    We'll make our own joy in the little things, if we can't immediately change the big.

    Happy New Year, Cookie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too, Mr. Adorable Device. XOXOXO

      Delete
  4. What a year in indeed. And it ends on a note of finding out Me Moorecock now has covid 19!!!! I myself felt much my Little Edie in isolation much of the time. But thankfully for a couple friends and bloggers like yourself, keep me entertained which i thank you for. I enter the New year very melancholic...and plan to enter 2021 tip toeing in

    I you, my cookie monster and you hubby a very peaceful New Year.πŸŽ‡πŸΈπŸŽ‰πŸŽ‡πŸŽŠ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending you love, dearest. May the coming New Year bet gentler on us all.

      Delete
  5. "Better Joy, and less OY." You've summed it up brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happiest of New Years to you, darling. I know I have fallen into the pit of posting. Lets hope the days going forward is better for us all!

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Cookie and to the man that puts up with you day in and out.

    Could be that the "flue" was actually you know what. They say it was here a lot sooner that we suspected. We just wasn't testing for it.

    May 2021 be a banner year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am convinced it was. I have never been sicker in my life. And I wouldn't wish it on anyone. May your new year be better. Good health!

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year, and let's hope its a better year for all of us. My biggest desideratum is to get back to Shaker Heights, vaccine allowing. I so want to visit my family and manage some things in Ohio.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete