Monday, October 26, 2020

He gots the a) Covids, b) Cancer, c) Sugar

 



Cookie would like to know when in the hell it became conversationally OK to insert the "He gots" in the present tense?   Especially when it comes to illness. 

In the old days, it was acceptable to use "Johnny got sick," if it was followed by "but he is much better".

We didn't need the details unless it was contagious, like chickenpox or measles.   Once in the early 70s a kid named Sargent came down with mumps and all hell broke loose.  It wasn't his fault.  And it wasn't a reflection on his parents, but the school took no chances.  Parents were notified and warned what to watch for. Boys in his cub scout den - his mother was den mother - were highly advised to go to the pediatrician where some of us were given shots of something to protect us.   No harm, no foul, but our poor classmate had to suffer out the miserable disease, so we sent cards. 

Now, I hear all sorts of "he gots" and on social media, I am reading "he/she/they gots the [fill in the blank] as if its become part of accepted language: 

"He got the appendicitis."

"She got the cancer."

"Grandpa got the hemorrhoid"

"They both got the sugar."

You really know its bad when "He got the cancers."

Into this comes the one that makes me really insane: "She got the covids."  Not just COVID-19, but evidently ALL OF THE COVIDS. 

And this came from a doctor!

Folks, it's like nails on a chalkboard.  BUT if we must, let us conjugate "gots", shall we?

I GOTS

You GOTS

He/She GOTS

We GOTS

They GOTS

And for our southerners out there:

Y'all Gots - and - 

All y'all GOTS

See how wretched this sounds?

Thirty years ago, this "gots" used to a reactionless nod of the head.  Many of my clients were in S.E. Ohio, so you heard it frequently, but not universally. 

And even back home, I started to hear it, I just thought that people were parroting back what they heard. 

But last year, on a trip back home, my cousin was yelling at her husband when he forgot the five-pound bag of sugar she needed for holiday baking.  He called his friend, Bud, who was at Walmart picking up prescriptions and asked him to pick it up on his way over.  Bud agreed.  

Five minutes later cousin's husband's phone rang again. A brief conversation was had, and the call was over  Then this transpired:

"That was Bud."

"Did you tell Bud that I wanted Domino and not the store brand?"

"I told him. Honey. Bud's got the sugar," in his Illinois monotone.

"Lord have mercy!  Bud's got the sugar? Why would you ask Bud to get sugar if he has the sugar? It's be like tell Twila to pick up flour with the gluten sh's got.  Dear good when?  When did the doctor tell him he has diabetes?  Did he take one of them instant sugar tests at the Walmart?  Poor Diane..."

"Sharon, Bud called to say he bought the sugar.  He's got the Domino sugar, but he doesn't have the sugar."

"Oh."

"Dingaling."

Folks, words have meaning, and things have names.  Like a coaster in a motel, USE THEM.

So if you will y'all excuse me, I'm going get me a cup of "the coffee".



7 comments:

  1. the dumbing down of murikkka continues unabated...and those people breed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were in school, we were issued with dire warnings never to use the word "got". The correct word is "has".

    Now here we are in 2020, and the English language has been mangled beyond any semblance of grammatical rules.

    Blame Hollywood, blame "yoof culture", blame lazy political soundbytes, lazy teachers, lazy journalists, social media or whatever. I will continue to use The Queen's English, and will not feel ashamed to do so.

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have The Martini!

    Carlos sometimes says 'He got the cancer.' But for him that's how it translate from Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what's worse--the epidemic of poor grammar or that of poor pronunciation, both of them spread by brainless television and internet personalities who make wild stabs at correct speech, which are then copied by everybody.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think 'gots' is funny. I think 'She's gots the covid.' is sadly funny. I love language, especially when abused with tongue in cheek. When I hear 'gots', I just assume a cat it talking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gots to tell ya, Cookie, I enjoy talking like this when conversing with my sisters. It's fun and we do it on purpose. I'll even throw in a couple of ain'ts that we weren't allowed to use as kids. Don't get me started on the pronunciation of nuclear! I do know the difference uses of there, they're and their, not to mention your and you're. I will not interchange these words on purpose.

    ReplyDelete