Wednesday, September 23, 2020

No, you really aren't the nicest person you know.

 


One thing that a young child I was blessed with was self-consciousness, and too much of it at that.  Growing up I felt awkward, uncoordinated, and ugly.  I had no use for sport because my biggest competition was myself, and we both hated losing.  And contrary to every camp counselor and gym teacher, "Athletics" did not imbue me with confidence.  It made me a target, and I held the honor of last chosen for every school year I was at Mercer of Byron Junior High.  Moreover, whether a twist of fate or not, I was always chosen for the skins team, which made the public humiliation all the more painful. 

My desire to be liked and accepted was always ground out like a cigarette butt by junior high gym teachers who were better suited to a U.S. Marines Training Center than an upper-income Junior High.  

Bullies picked up on that, and to show everyone what a waste of human flesh. I was shoved downstairs, had my locker trashed, and was I was put down, not only by some of the other boys but some of the better-looking boys.  As the years went by they were in my mind as I spent my first years in the gay dating world. In my eyes, I was good enough to use for sex, but nothing more. 

One of my worst tormentors however was a girl.  A short, mean one named "Bertha".  Imbued with a shock of hair that looked more like a broom, Bertha's master art wasn't physical abuse, it was verbal abuse.  And she worked with it like Vermeer worked in oils.  I endured it for two years. A pint-sized harridan, Bertha's words cut like a hot knife through my cold lonely soul.  The only time she was nice was when she wanted something - like to be the star of a photography project or help on a history test. 

We left Shaker for a more sane life when I was 14, mostly because my mother was certain that if another year happened like eighth grade, I was certain to kill myself, and most likely I would have.  In our new town, a new school system, I found friends.  Out of the 400+ high school students, subtract out about 20, and we all got along.  I was never manhandled, bullied, or abused.  High school was pure bliss. 

At the last Shaker reunion, I went to, a long time friend said that I should forgive Bertha for all the anger I held towards her.  "She's grown."  So said friend maneuvered me into Bertha's orbit, and Bertha instead of hello, treated me with a "Cookie? What are you doing here?"

In talking with Bertha, before I could forgive her, I mentioned that it was would nice to get along and start over.  Bette who was headed toward a table of her friends from school - Deb, Debbie, D'bora, Deebs, Dee, Deedee, and Angela - stopped, and looked at me and said the following:

"It was your fault we didn't get along.  If you thought I was the problem, well, you need help. Why I'm the nicest person I know."

And with that, she walked to her table. 

The table filled with her friends that she just threw under the bus.  

The same friends that she just claimed she was better than. That's what you are saying when one says "I am the nicest person I know."  It says that they are better than everyone else, and it says they don't give a damn about anything but them.

What I learned very fast is that you can't forgive a bully unless the bully asks for it.  And unless they ask for it, that's who they are - accept that move on. 

But I walked away having great admiration for Bertha's friends.  She uses them and they are there for her, oblivious to the fact that she uses them. I mean, it takes a whole lot of ignorance or patience to be friends with the Bertha's of the world, because, after all, she is the nicest person anyone, including her friends - who are something far below Bertha's wonderfulness, will ever meet.  

Of course, one day, Bertha just might wake up and realize it.  

But my sense she won't.  

Said another friend from school who had been burned by Bertha one too many times in high school, "Self-awareness was never her strong suit." 




24 comments:

  1. Oh fuck all them bullies. They were just jealous that you had that big lovely "cookie monster" of a cock. It is a rather pretty penis cookie!!!!!

    The only person I ever had trouble with too, was a fat girl. I named her Bubbles and tore into once right in front of everyone and asked why she couldn't afford the whole shirt. The hall broke out in laughter and I never had a issue with her again. Im not a queen to be trifled with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mads, I knew you'd handle a Bully like that, I'm so glad you have apparently always been a Queen not to be trifled with my Dear! That's how you take a Bully down, I've eviscerated a few in my day. *winks*

      Delete
  2. bertha is a cunt. I have NEVER attended a high school or college reunion due to all the bullying I endured from students and teachers alike. plus the abuse from my parents...and yes, I DID think about suicide during high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, what I found at reunions is that almost everyone has changed, except for the sociopaths. And we all had pain, except for the sociopaths. But asshole be assholes - there is no cure for that.

      Delete
  3. Bertha sounds like most orange ogre supporters. Man. Sorry you went through all that. That's why I never go to reunions. Screw dat. They were allowed to torture me for 6 years... you think I'm going to want to relive that trauma? Uh-uh. Pass. Besides, the only people I really want to confront are the teachers. Because behind every bad high school experience... there was a teacher! A terrible teacher. Thanks for sharing this. And you are right... don't forgive unless it is asked for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only had a bad expirience with one high school teacher. So maybe I am lucky. As I said, my high schools days were perfect. And I know how lucky I was. College? Aside from meeting my husband, it was like junior high all over again.

      Delete
  4. I went to ONE reunion (my 30th) and while didn't have a good time, it wasn't horrible. I did get to tell Tom (no quotes around his name), how he tortured me in high school. The shock on his face, and his words, told me he had no idea. I wasn't there to forgive Tom - and I didn't - but I left there feeling better.........and never to return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my tormentors was a very good looking boy. He's turned into a not so good looking man. Time is a great equalizer.

      Delete
    2. Aging Well is the best revenge!

      Delete
  5. Well I am glad you did not forgive her. I hope you can forget about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope I never encounter her. But if I do, I can treat her with the cold indifference she deserves.

      Delete
  6. Bertha knows exactly what she did and who she is. Her comment, "It was your fault we didn't get along." is pure deflection. It is how she copes with the general dissatisfaction she has with her own life. Bitches tend to know all about themselves whether they can admit it to others or not. I attended one high school reunion and enjoyed the first 30-minutes before the cliques reformed and I realized that we, none of us, had changed a hair in 25 years. Don't need to attend another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only regret was that there wasn't a camera around. I mean how many times to does one get to witness proclaiming themselves to be the nicest person they know while being crueler than most other people can imagine.

      Delete
  7. BTW, Bertha didn't say she was nice. She said she's the "nicest person she knows", which says something about the company she keeps and the people she knows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let Bertha be Bertha and move on. People like that you can't change. What is worse is others-her "friends"-put up with it.

    I was never popular in school. I had a few pick on me here and there but it was not to the point of slitting my wrists. I just blended in. I never went to a prom of any sort. Never dated of any sort. I just blended in. In my junior year I had enough credits to graduate-I went from a military school-my father was in the AF-to a civilian school. I only had to take night a night class of driver's education which was only offered to sophomores. I took the class and opted to attend my senior year with only one class-government. I worked during my senior year-AM-for credits-in a hospital. I arrived on campus in the afternoon to take my class and went home. Folks kept asking if I was new. I bought a yearbook in my senior year and only had a handful sign it. I graduated in a class of 700 something students and I ranked in the middle. Just blended in.

    Maybe this says more about me. Sort-of-like LinkedIn. The whole process reminds me of high school and the popular kids. NOT!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loathe linked in and its passive aggressive reminder to congratulate people on their accomplishments.

      Delete
  9. Well, since Bertha probably didn't have any real friends, perhaps she actually was the nicest person she knew. Also, her "friends" at the table might have been worse than her, thus verifying her title.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she has friends. The Debbies. And in fairness, a couple of those Debbies are nice people. But not D'Bora. D'bora is a total cunt.

      Delete
  10. Bullying is never acceptable and they should take it more seriously in School and hold Bullies accountable. Perhaps if she truly thought she was the Nicest Person she Knew, then it could mean all her Friends are not very Nice people? *LOL* I was always small in stature so my Dad advised me to grow up tough, we always lived in neighborhoods where you just had to be and I can still handle myself in Da Hood even as an Old Lady. *winks* My Younger Brother is a Big Guy and oddly people seem to pick on them most since a Big Guy can't really 'Win'... if he pounds the Bully who is smaller than he then people will call him the Bully... if he tolerates the abuse then he's the Coward. Ergo, my very big Younger Brother was a timid Soul who got Bullied more by Asshat small Guys trying to appear Macho by picking on the Biggest Guy they could find. That's when Older yet much tinier Protective Sister me would step in and hand that Guy his Ass... not a good look to have your Ass handed to you by a very small yet scrappy Female. *winks*

    ReplyDelete