Wednesday, May 29, 2019

You know that family, a driveway instead of central air

Yes, we are those people...

Cookie has two terrible headaches and is very hot.

No, not hot in that way.

Hot because Ville Cookie, located in the Capitol of Mid Atlantic heatwaves, Bawlimore, has no central air conditioning. 

You heard me - no central air - on the first floor.

The previous owners did install AC on the second and third floors, but they never did for the first.  That's because our house has radiator heat and not forced air.  So it is easier to put the condenser in the attic and run flexible ductwork around the third floor than is it to pipe the stuff down two floors lower.

So we rely on window units on the first floor, and that means fans to move the air about, room to room.  The noise!  The inability to rend the air of moisture!

To add central air to the first floor, we would have to add a second AC unit and place the condenser in the basement.  From there it is easy to install floor registers, etc. and so on.  But its expensive.

But no, we needed the driveway.   So we have a drive, but days are feverish feeling in the heat.

And it's early this year.  Miserable early.

So I have a headache from the heat.  But I have another headache on the street.

The brand new hybrid has a fucked up radio/Bluetooth unit. Bother.  We noticed it when we returned from vacation.  Normally, you start it up, the system pops up on screen and you drive away.   But that first day back, it took forever to load, and then it crashed, and loaded and crashed and over and over and over.  Every third crash, the audio source dropped.

So off to the dealer we went, they loaded the OS and then the latest map update, and said it was fine to go. 

Got in the car, started it up, set it in gear and the audio system crashed and started acting up.  Without leaving the parking lot, back into the service bay it went.  So the service department studmuffin jumps into the car.  and we remove my iPhone from the system, and the system from my iPhone system - the technical manual calls this a divorce. 

The car runs fine.  The audio system stays up.

Then we turn off the car and restart it, re-pair the phone to the car and the car to the phone.  Everything is fine.

I ask if we can test it from a cold start, and we shut the car down, restart it, the car and the phone hook up like Gidget and Moondog, I put it in gear and drive five feet and like Gidget and Moondog, it crashes.

Reader, I have to say that only thing more exciting than sharing my car with an incredibly good looking man is to have an electronic device FAIL exactly like it did for you when you were alone, but in front of a witness at the dealership. 

No, I am not going crazy.

This time we get "System Is Unable To Update. Continue Y/N"

Praise Jesus, we have a twofer!

So they call the manufacturer of the car's advanced diagnostics department and hook up the car.  Nothing.  They call Apple, and there are no bulletins, but Apple asks me to update et the phone, which was updated two days before. So that's no it. They ordered me a new radio unit - "It should be here in  ten days."  UGH.

Anyhow, in the past ten days, I have been keeping a log.  What makes the system fail and what doesn't:

1) The system fails if the phone is on when you turn the car on.
2) The system doesn't fail is the phone is on when you turn the car on and you back up (because the review camera function breaks the chain of failure.
3) Number two, but then the phone book doesn't load.
4) The system works if you start the car and the phone is off.  Turn the phone on and the car and radio and nav system work fine, but the phone book may, or may not, load.
5) Back to number one, and the system fails on a cycle of one to three minutes.  Every third failure loses the audio source if the radio is on.

We tried this with my husbands iPhone and had no issues just loading the phone alone. But when I loaded the phone and the phone book, it repeated the crash cycle.

My diagnosis is that the nav system can't load the phone book from the phone and that causes it to fail.

Unfortunately, a week has passed and the dealership called to say "shipments are running slow because of the holiday weekend."  So I wait and stress.  I know, let go and let Toyota.  But it's cramping my style. (Whine)

So yes, I have first world problems, and they are very, very real.


11 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I am lost with all this newfangled stuff. Last time I drove a car (and believe me, having lived in London for twenty years, that is a helluva long time ago!) the radio was FM, and there was a cassette player for personal music choices - CD players being ever so moderne. Car phones were beyond the range of normal drivers - and, reading this, I am still not sure what a phone book has to do with a car. Oh! And navigation was done by looking at road signs or the AA road atlas kept under the passenger seat.

    You can tell I'm not "down with the kids". Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I have never been in a house anywhere in the UK that had air conditioning. The crap one in the office is bad enough...

      Delete
    2. Dearest, then you must come to the Mid Atlantic, where each summer you stew in your our sweat. Seriously, its like living in a sauna. "The first thing out of your mouth is always "GAH" when you step outside, someone once said. And its true.

      Delete
  2. I cannot live without central air.

    "Cookie has two terrible headaches and is very hot." - sorry about your headaches and I bet you ARE HOT (in THAT WAY).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand that we can live without refinements like car phones, but once we have them, they need to work. I also use window a/c's with fans, but good fans should not be that noisy. I have three fans in my bedroom alone--one for the bed, one for the desk, and one to play against the back wall where the a/c is located.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the old house it was like living in a kiln with stucco on concrete block with plaster on the block on the inside. In the winter, it was like living in a meat locker. This is our last "old" house. I am done with "Charm". I want the next house to a "system" with technology.

      Delete
  4. I love that you have triaged every possible scenario of the bluetooth pairimg to determine the exact set of variables that causes the trouble. I say this with sincere admiration because I have done the same, in different circumstances, to the point of obsession!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the madness continued today. I have noticed that when the car is in use for about an hour, on and off running errands, that it eventually just stops trying to "read in" the entries in the phone book. Starts and stop without a problem. Still, I am a bit over Toyota and the one week promise. It is officially now TWO weeks.

      Delete
  5. Like Jon, all this technical jiggery-pokery is beyond me. My car is a hundred million years old (OK, so nearly 17, but near enough) and doesn't have any type of tech/phone connection thingummydoodahs, but it does have air con/climate control which, when we get an actual summer (like last year), I couldn't do without, so I feel for your lack of air con.

    I have to wonder at your third point "3) Number two, but then the phone book doesn't load." - whereabouts in your car are you doing this "number two"? I'm sure that must have something to do with the problems..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant, referring back to no. 2...

      Delete
    2. And if I DID number two in the car, its upholstered with - swear to God its in the literature - "vegan leather".

      Delete