Sunday, September 24, 2017

I did the space needle, and then I almost collapsed



So after leaving Bainbridge, it was time for Husband's end of the trip.  Husband's get to win, too, folks.

We stayed at the Seattle Hilton, because with a Hilton you can expect things to be a certain way.  Just so you know - the Seattle Hilton is old, and it is strange.

The hotel was built in 1969 atop a multi story parking tower "giving guests a commanding view of downtown Seattle including the iconic Space Needle..." said the newspaper in the "T" floor hall way.  That's "T" for "Top.  And the "T" Floor is where the Hilton Club floor lounge is.

Well, the Seattle skyline has changed and from our view on the 26 floor all we could see were the white hoops in the picture above, but every direction was blocked by buildings taller than the Hilton.  So much for commanding views.

The bathroom was Microtel sized, and the TV was liquid crystal.  And there was so much furniture jammed into the room that you crab walked around everything.

We met friends for dinner in a Vietnamese cafe - a first for Cookie, and I ate unfamiliar foods.  When someone mentioned a spring roll, I could get into that.  What I wasn't prepared for was that they don't fry their spring roll's like Cheap Chinese does, around the corner from our house.  So what you get is rice paper that is translucent - like a thin layer of flesh.  I ate it.  But it gave me the cold willies.  Still, I ate it.

SO the next morning we get up and head down to the Hilton's restaurant - because they all have one, right? - "Red Trees" and what we find is something that looks like you'd find in a Best Western, but not the best Best Western, or even the second best Best Western.  The room was very small, and striped down to its simplest form, giving to all the charm of a table area you would find in a airport food court.  The buffet was pure economy hotel food.  We chewed our way through that, then left for the Space Needle.

Now Cookie has an unreasonable fear of heights.  But the Husband wanted to go up, so I went too.  I stayed in side, got my sea legs and then ventured outside where I held onto the inner wall.  When you're in a place like this, you are surrounded by two types of people.  There are the people who think its neat, and then there are the people, like me, who are making the best of a very bad situation.

And we acrophobic's stick together.   Oh, Hell yes.

As I worked my way around the obersvation deck - knowing that only a few wires and a rickety railing stood between certain death and myself, I encountered many people doing as I was doing - clinging to the wall.  This presented certain challenges akin to modern dance, because we were not all going the same direction or speed.   In one instance a woman bravly stepped about two feet from the wall to let me pass, then rushed back to claim her space.  In another, a man and I did something where I left my hand on the wall and he crawled under my outstretched arm.  He said thank you, and I could help but notice that he was sweating up a storm.

"My wife loves coming up here when we visit our son, and if she's happy, I can get through this.  Right?"

"Spouses get to win sometimes," was my reply.

After a half hour, my husband said "Let me take your picture."

Holding the wall?

"No, stand with your back to the railing and I'll take a quick picture!"

Spouses get to win.  So I carefully, with one hand on the building stuck a leg out, and let go of the building and then got a death grip on the railing.  I smiled, a painful smile, and then jumped back to the building and inside.

I got in the down elevator corral and rode down to the gift shop, which is larger than the observation deck.  The husband joined me and we shopped for souvenirs to take home.

As we left, he said do you want to get something to eat, and I said yes and we went to the closest place near there - the armory.

And that's when I kind of lost it.

I was either out of adrenaline from risking my life on the top of that Space Needle - which I was sure was going to fall the minute I stepped foot on it - or I was hypoglycemic, or both, but I got very confused and upset and I couldn't make a decision.  I also got a bit paranoid - as if all of Seattle was judging me.  I almost started to cry.  According to the husband words were coming out of my mouth that made no sense at all.

That was when the husband sat me down, told me to stay there and got us both some food.    About a hour later, I felt better - not great - but well enough to take the monorail back to towards the hotel.

I told him to leave me there while he went exploring and I crashed on the bed.  I remember him coming back into the room, once, then twice, the second time with a cup of coffee and he woke me up.

He asked me if the nap was good - a silly question, because all naps are good - but I said that I seemed stuck in the twlight sleep.  "You know, resting not sleeping?"

No, he assured me.  "You were out cold."

He told me about his exploits and explorations.  He had seen people who were very trendy, people who looked like they were trekking through the street like they were on a hike in the hills and tried on some shoes at Nordstrom's mothership store.

I did feel better after the nap.  And dinner was consumed and it was the best tasting food I had had in a long time, even though it was not a terribly posh place.

We went out to dinner and turned in early so we could get up early so we could get the Hell out of dodge.  And into the Delta Club for some food.  And yes, they had their uber yummy roasted Red Pepper and Gouda soup.  So I was very happy.

All of our flights were wonderful and the cabin crews were magnificent.  And yes - we LOVE TSA's pre-screening procedure.  I have never been so happy to keep my shoes on in my life.

So the filing of the pictures begins tomorrow, and the encoding begins.

But Cookie is not doing any tall buildings for a while.  A long, while.

16 comments:

  1. Columbus and Baltimore don't have Vietnamese food? And what a nightmare experience on the Needle. I got a chance to climb the tower at U.S. in Shaker, and the rickety balconies many stories above the ground (you get a clear view of downtown Cleveland) gave me the same feeling--that's one tour you might want to skip, interesting though it is!
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably do. But the husband tends to be a more adventurous eater than I could ever manage. My father was a steak and potatoes guy. My mother's rule was "If I can't raise it on a farm of my own, its not going to settle well with me." So the conversations in our house almost never include "Let's try cuisine tonight.

      Delete
  2. So the Cookie Monster did the Space Needle. Thank goodness you didn't collapse there. A nap always helps, with a nice cold towelette and a cool beverage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recall an equivalent experience on the London Eye with a gang of work colleagues several years ago - there was I, standing on the curved glass at the edge, observing "how small those cars look!" - while others in our party sat, ashen-faced, gripping the bench dead centre of the pod, refusing to move or take in the marvellous views of our fine city at sunset... We are all different, sweetie. Not sure about your "funny turn", however. Was it the comedown (literally) from the tower experience, or the translucent boiled spring roll wot dunnit? Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it was a combination of factors, but the drop in adrenaline can make you a bit wonky.

      I never had a problem with heights until - in high school - we went to the top of the World Trade Center. I got right up to the window on the observation deck and looked down. Next thing I know one of my teachers and a security guard are trying to get me to come too. After that, I cannot do heights.

      Delete
  4. I am not a fan of heights, but I did the Needle, too! And lived to tell the tale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shit honey, you should see what they are doing to it now. They are removing the railings and wires, and replacing them with floor to ceiling GLASS. They are working in sections around the walk way. Said the elevator operator, a young, tall good looking lad named Adrian, "Oh, yeah - that will be a total mind fuck."

      Delete
  5. I'm with you - hug the inner wall and don't EVER let go and don't look down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But we have to look down, right? Because the heights demands that we look down. We can't help it. Right?

      Delete
  6. Congratulations. It is one of your survival instincts -which are not bad things to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have that same queasy feeling when the President opens his mouth.

      Delete
  7. So, now that you've lived to tell the tale, do you have plans to do something that your Husband really doesn't want to? Or, is this his "revenge" for something that you've already done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know - he is so good to me, that I just can't imagine putting him through something of that calibre. If it were anyone else, then yes. Most certainly, it'll get filed away. But he's such a good guy.

      Delete
  8. The truth is, this is the secret to a happy marriage/relationship, sometimes the other person get to win. Not all battles are a death match, sometimes it's just nice to say "your turn". You've got a good one in your hubby, but YOU'RE a good one too! Going up that monstrosity, even with a fear of heights? You could have easily hung out on the ground floor or the surrounding area and just waited, but no, you sucked it up and joined in.
    As for your "spring roll" experience I have to truly laugh. Here in Minneapolis we have a very large population of Vietnamese and they have opened simply SCADS of little restaurants. There is nothing I like better then a fresh spring roll! Or pho! That would have sent you right over the edge, especially with tripe. But keep trying new things. If nothing else, we get a good story out of it LOL
    But I sympathize with the fear of heights, with me it's spiders. Totally irrational and very specific. Not bugs, SPIDERS. I shudder even as I type the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally, agree. A good relationship is never about feeling more entitled than your mate. People don't get that the core is "relate" - you have to listen and if there is a fun ride ahead, they get to come along, too.

      Now here's something sad. My friend "Mark" (Not His Real Name) was divorced by his husband and I saw it coming years before he was blind sided by it. You see, Mark likes to go out with friends, a lot. Too much. All the fucking time. And this left "Quincy" (also not his real name) at home, or as a tag along with Mark's friends. When they got married in an island wedding that we couldn't afford to attend, the husband said "are they sure this is the best decision, or are they doing it because everyone is doing it?" Well, we know where that went. Down the shitter. So you are absolutly right, you have to say your turn, or better yet, What do you want to do? Otherwise you might as well by a cat.

      Delete