Friday, March 18, 2016

Ah, Cleveland. City of Light. City of Magic.


Ah, Cleveland.  The city poetic!

If you have never been to Cleveland, I have to say that you are missing a wonderful city filled with wonderful people.

But Hopkins International Airport?  The airport prosaic.

Or put another way, an airport clusterfuck.   Seriously, Cleveland.  I know you can do better.  I mean BWI-Thurgood Marshall is simply Tits compared to this dreary mess of an airport.

Its being remodeled again, but it is a nightmare.    It was a nightmare arriving, and it appears that it will be a nightmare going as only one security checkpoint is operational.

And it didn't get better when I went to Budget Rent A Car and discovered that the Budget is more about bilking people.  The first car we got had a flat tire in the lot.  The second car smelled like loaded diaper, which came from the loaded diaper in the back.  Then on the third car, there was only 1/4 tank of gas.

Tonya, the Budgetess at the counter rolled her eyes when I came in a third time, and she doubted my word until I showed her a picture of the tank reading.

"Oh, just bring it back with a full tank and we'll reimburse you."

Cookie doesn't like to be played.

Suffice it to say that it took every fiber of my being to be nice to Tonya, who was having a bad day and had six other people screaming at her for more of the same in her lot. 

Anyhow, with that fixed, we were off.  Off to Cleveland.  City of mirth.  City of Madness.

But I digress.

I am in this fair city to do more hard time in Shaker Heights, albeit incognito.  This is a super fast ninja trip to check in on my last "Aunt" on my fathers side - a woman who is actually an extended cousin, but an aunt, at least to me.

Aunt had a fall and at 91 had hip replacement surgery.  You know, broken hips 50 years ago were the gateway to certain death.  People died from blood clots and such while trying to recover from broken hips.  But Aunt sailed through the surgery which was done with a nerve block, a heavy tranquilizer, and anterior incision.  So today I got to see her up and moving about.

Afterward, we had a two hour visit in which I had to work with her to remember me, which she did, and remember many people who were in her life many years ago.

So tomorrow, we do it again, and then home to Maryland.

You know we have been in Baltimore for four years, but it is still strange to think of it as "home", but it is.

Now, I will drift off to sleep as I prepare for yet another day of doing hard time in Shaker Heights.


24 comments:

  1. And Cleveland wonders why airlines avoid it as a hub city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I have never seen a ticketing area that is less than 20 feet deep. Amd there is only ONE TSA point open.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a bundle of laughs. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a lot crying. Tears of joy. Sad to see my Aunt in this condition, but thankful to God that we had our visits.

      Delete
  3. as long as you are outta there before july and the GOP free-for-all cage fights come to town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, Clevelanders are absolutly appalled that they have to host the convention. and now City Hall is having a kniption fit after Donald Trump warned that there would be riots if he was denied the nomination. Oy!

      Delete
  4. You are very good. We've no more very-olds at the moment; the next, I suppose, will be My Dear Sister in a decade or so, by which point I'll be on the brink myself.

    The other day, apropos of nothinng, the Mister asked "What is Cleveland?" When I explained (a lakeside city not far from my own hometown, which he's visiter), he asked if it were a nice place to vacation. Turns out he'd read something about the Egyptian collection at the museum. Knowing the way his mind works, I think we may be going at some point...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cleveland museum of Art is world reknown for its collection, and the Cleveland Symphony has no equal in the US. If its the beach, he'll hate it. If its Rubber Hall of Fame in Akron, he'll has spasms of ecstacy.

      Delete
    2. Let's not overlook the Polka Hall of Fame.

      Delete
    3. Since Frankie Yankovich died, its just not the same.

      Delete

  5. "Oh, just bring it back with a full tank and we'll reimburse you."

    "Uh ... No. You ask that I do my part and I ask that you do yours. Full tank me. NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We won't bill you for a full tank is one of the great lies, like the check is in the mail.

      Delete
  6. I've been in Cleveland half a dozen times and enjoyed every minute.

    My friends looked at me, however, as if to ask, "Cleveland? Really?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its weird being there. Its part of me, but its alien.

      Delete
  7. You are so right about a broken hip being an indicator of death within 2-3 years. I can't recall whether that statistic is on the CDC's or NIH's site. Glad you are getting to spend some quality time with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nack before hip replacement, the only cure for a broken hip was rest so the bome could reknit. But in the elderly, bones heal slower, meaning they were immobile longer, which in reased the risk of deep vein thombosis, and other issues. Just a horrible way to go.

      Delete
  8. I was surprised you've been in Baltimore 4 years. I've been reading your blog longer, since before you left Shaker Heights. How time flies except in Cleveland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem strange that its been this long. The place is growing on me.

      Delete
  9. You should have told me you were in town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will the next time. This was a trip with a mission.

      Delete
  10. As a former student at Kent State (yes, during that era!),we would go to Cleveland for a big night out. Had some good times there. Akron is another story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Akron has its charms. When I find them, I'll let you know.

      Delete