Thursday, August 27, 2020

Really? That boozy-boozy?


This is a chart, by Brown Forman Distillery, allegedly tells one how to prepare for a party, and provide the host with a gauge as to how many drinks you and your friends would consume while you are entertaining them, 1950s style.

Cookie is shocked and appalled!  YES, our outlook on boozy-boozy lunches have changed, but this is a lot of hooch!

Just look at the lunch recommendation.  Four people for lunch, and EIGHT cocktails, two apiece!  Now eight glasses of whine sound reasonable for a brunch.  But regular lunch?  "No more than two cocktails for me honey, I still have to drive that afternoon school bus of children to their homes in about three hours."  Dear God! I hope not.

The amounts grow as you increase the hour of the day, evening, and night, and the number of guests you have.  Throw a dinner buffet and you might as well just to cater the affair or better yet, book the party room at the Theatrical Club!

Now Mame Dennis could pull this off - Beekman Place is big enough to hold the backstock. But put another way, let's pretend that you are Holly Golightly and you are having twenty people up to your apartment for a little "thing" you are throwing together. That would be a minimum of enough booze for eighty drinks AN HOUR if you going by this chart. 

And where would you put the bottles? 

Well, I can tell you that Mr. Yunioshi isn't going to let you use his place to store the spirits.  And if you could cram into chez Golightly, when you add the guests, just where will Mag Wildwood fall when she faints from hearing about Rusty Trawler's fortune?

Considerations all.  But as for Cookie, the days of drinking are pretty much over.  We were down to only having cocktails when we threw a party, but between Baltimore being Baltimore, and this COVID thing, it could be years before we get out the barware. 

But trust Cookie.  If this president doesn't destroy this country, or the world, when the COVID cure - the one that really works - actually appears, the 1920s will look like a church picnic.  So hang onto your hopes and your drinkware.  Happy days could be here again.

8 comments:

  1. I love classic bits from the past, like this. Almost as much fun as some of the 'party food' recipes I have seen. Such an innocent time. I mean, they still made fun of alcoholics on prime time TV back then. Now... every drink and you have to question... am I? Well, I have it down... I split one cocktail into two drinks, watered down with fizzy water. Fridays and Saturday only. I haven't been to a happy hour in ages. Sigh... come November I wonder if any hour will be happy? Thanks for sharing this. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love drinking cocktails, but I can't do it anymore. Its not the stomach and the liver, but the headache the next day. But that said, I will not turn down a sip of St. Germaine.

      Delete
  2. Daahling - these people are lightweights. Our gang could get through at least twice these recommended amounts at any house party we've ever hosted! You should see the recycling bin the day after. It weighs a ton... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same dear. When we go glamping, my dear friend has to use his golf cart to take the recycle bins, yes bins, to empty. And when he normally go to Rehoboth...much the same. Nice to see we're in good company.

      Delete
  3. Dearest cookie...I always drink for 20 any day of the week. And if you lunch with me one day plan on a long boozy filled lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. heh, ANY day at mistress maddie's casa would put this list to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thought at the party of fur was, that's about right for me, but what are the three others having?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it was in an attempt to sell more alcohol. They probably still advertised on the TV too.

    ReplyDelete