Friday, February 1, 2019

Just not enough children named Cuthbert anymore...

I wonder if she really was a Modest Outlaw...

My mother used to say that a child's name should be something that they grow into, and will serve them as an adult.

I would get this talk each day when she read the obituaries.

"It says that Murial Cooper died, age seventy."  Then, Mom would take that name and swirl it around in her mouth like a wine connoisseur at a world championship judging it by flossing their taste buds for every nuance.  "Murial. Muir-ee-al. Not enough children named Murial these days..."

Or it could be a call from her later "Flossie McKey died.  She was a hundred years old.  So you would expect a name like Flossie.  Popular during the McKinley era.  Not enough girls named Flossie."

Later when I was older and reading the obituaries myself each day, I still come across a name or two and out bubbles my mother's from my voice box when I utter the name and how its gone from our daily lexicon of familiarities.  "Lois Smith.  Not enough girls named Lois anymore," and when I skip to the sports page, every now and then an oldie but baddy will pop up eliciting a "Marvin? Who the hell names the kid Marvin, today?"

The problem is, parents name their children with cutesy names that fit children when they are wee small, not as adults.   This is how we ended up with boys named "Declan" and girls named "Troika".

My first "Troika" meeting happened at an event a neighbor was throwing.  The baby was adorable, with lovely baby fat that you just wanted to nibble on in the way that adults want to gobble up a baby.  Her mothers were bursting with pride.  "What did you name her?"

"Troika," they said.  "It's a name of strength, that honors her spirit, her body, and her mind.  She will be a force to be reckoned with."

I smiled.  In my head, I could imagine a life for Troika filled with endless questions about her "uncommon name."

And a middle name?

"We went with Rachel after Beth's mother who died a couple years ago."

Rachel is a beautiful name.  But trust me, Troika will be "Rachel" by the time she hits eight, twenty-four max if she becomes a TV Anchor.

Every era has a phase when it comes to naming babies.  Remember in the 1980s when there was an outbreak of baby girls named Ashley and boys named Christopher?  And then in 1990s, it was Brittany and Mathew?  In the 2000s it was Madison and Jacob.

These trends are nothing new.  In the 1600s it was just as bad with fads and such.  There was even a period in the 1600s and 1700s when children were given first names that sound to our ears like something from a hippy commune.  "Friend" for boys and "Thankful" in the 1600s for girls were far more popular than "Moon Unit" and "Apple" were in the 1960s and 1990s.

As a genealogist, I see these all the time.   It is especially vexing when the child dies young and it was before the advent of organized birth records because either the sex of the child is evident, or its anyone's guess.

I mean take baby "Shirly" Moore, born in Kentucky in 1801.  You look at that name and it sounds like someone your mother or grandmother would know.  Shirly could even be in the Bridge Club, right?

But baby "Shirly" died at age six months.  There is no birth record. Just a bible entry.  We don't even know where baby Shirly is buried.

So what sex is Shirly?

You read that right.  What sex?

Is Shirly a girl?  Or is Shirly a boy?

Shirly could be one or the other.  We don't know.  All we have is "Thomas and Ann Moore's" family bible which records the birth and death dates for "Shirly".

And was Shirly's name surely spelled Shirly?  Or is it Shirley, like it's printed in the book written in the 1970s by the person who was, in canon law terms Shirly's fifth great grand nephew, one Beverly Simpkins.  Yes, a man named Beverly. And yes, Beverly's granddaughter describes her "Grandpappy" as "Beverly, the Hillbilly".

(She thinks its funny. She's also paying me $100/hour to look all this up, so if she wants to laugh, let her.)

One Millenial, who is clueless asked me "Why do you have to assign a sex to these people.  Maybe they were gender fluid..."

Unlikely.  Look, you have to assign a sex to figure out how to start an organized search to rule in your hypothesis or, rule it out.  if you just go willy-nilly at the records, you'll never find anything.

So let's play this little game, shall we? It's one I play whenever we go further back than 1900.  Its called "Is it a He'in or a She'in?"  The way this gets played, I'll give you ten "Western" names that are pretty gender fixed, but way out of date.  You have to assign the most likely gender.  The names won't be ones you hear today but were common in the 17th and 18th centuries.  You have a 50% chance at getting them right.  Don't cheat.  I can spot a cheater a mile away.   (But you can whip this out and show it to your friends and defy their ability to get them all correct.)

1. Mehetable
2. Zohra
3. Lettus
4. Seekpeace
5. Francis (pronounced Frank-is)
6. Pleasance
7. Mayhew
8. Fairfax
9. Eudoia M
10. Syntyche

BONUS

Mathe in New England


ANSWERS:

1) Mehetable - Female.  Taken from the bible.  Its translation means "God rejoices."

2) Zohra - Female.  Taken from Islamic culture, up through the Middle East into Europe, it can mean "Beautiful

3) Lettus - Female.  Later Lettice (Le-teece)

4) Seekpeace - Male.

5)  Francis - Female.  Yes, I know that Francis is a man's name, but "Frankis" morphed into Frances.

6) Pleasance - Female.  My 10th great grandmother was a woman named Pleasance Ely*.

7) Mayhew - Male.  A forerunner of Mathew.

8) Fairfax - Male.  One would think that "Fair" would apply to a girl, fair of face, so to think.  But no.  Fairfax was a name given to males.

9) Eudoia - Female.  I know, you are thinking "Endora", but no.  Eudoia is a new testament thing.

10) Syntyche - Female.  A buddy of Eudoia.

BONUS

If you have made it thus far, the bonus name is "Mathe".  Not Maive.  And no, not Maude, either.  "Mathe" can either be a form of "Mary" or it can be - especially in New England a form of MARTHA.  Martha?  Now, sound it out: Ma-the, Ma-the, now say "Ma" and "the" fast together.  ma - THE, Martha.

Now if you will excuse me, but I have to wrap a gift for the new baby next door.  They named him "Viscount".

I honestly just can't.  You know?


12 comments:

  1. Huh! I got all but #3 right. Lettus, I thought vegetable as in head of. All vegies are male to me, except tomatoes. I also know my bible. I have a late Uncle Big Baby. That was his true name. This is fascinating. One person named Cuthbert is one too many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Mehetable - male
    2. Zohra - female
    3. Lettus - male
    4. Seekpeace - male
    5. Francis (pronounced Frank-is) - male
    6. Pleasance - female
    7. Mayhew - male
    8. Fairfax - female
    9. Eudoia M - female
    10. Syntyche - female
    bonus - male

    OK, 6 of 10 correct and I missed the bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just checked what baby names are around at the moment in the UK (apart from the ubiquitous "Jacks" and "Harrys", "Sophias" and "Emmas"), and find that some unlikely old-fashioned names such as Oliver, Elijah and Benjamin (for boys), and Nora and Charlotte (for girls) made the list - as did Aubrey, which I would always associate as being a man's name (as in Aubrey Beardsley, Aubrey Manning) but has been adopted for years in the US as a girl's name, and would appear to have now hit the list over here. As everything American always does, now that social media has finally made us into its new colony.

    No "Lettuses" nor "Seekpeaces". Unfortunately Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought Orange Judd Publishing (agricultural books) was two people, Mr. Orange and Mr. Judd, but it turns out that Mr. and Mr. Judd had a baby and called it Orange! (There is an Orange Judd Hall at Wesleyan University.)

    Using surnames as first names also causes a lot of oddities. The worst offender in this respect is the surname Gurley, as in Helen Gurley Brown. It would be bad enough for a boy to be surnamed Gurley, but I actually came across it as a given name for a man--something like Gurley Smith. Imagine a boy first-named Gurley--he practically puts the Boy Named Sioux out of business!
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have Gurley's in our family. And a Bishop named Gurley ripped off a distant cousin in the name of Methodism.

      Delete
  5. I still stop at Mayfield Cemetery and then promptly thank my parents for not naming me Issac, Mordechai or Nathan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The names I am thankful for that were not visited upon me by the family were Schlomo, Nestor, Clark, Julius (Julian was suggested, by mother, thank God, batted that one down) and Jamie. I don't think I could bear being named "Jamie". Sweet jesus!

      Delete
  6. My mother's name was Lois. I never thought of it as uncommon until high school when sharing our parent's names among friends. One of my friends kept saying. "You mean, Louise?" And I'd say, "No. L-O-I-S. It's pronounced Low-wis". Then he'd say, "Louise" again. I think we just agreed on "Scott's mom".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was she in a "Lois Club"? They were hugely popular after the war. Alas, the last Lois I know was a year ahead of me in high school. Not a one since.

      Delete