Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pardon us if we don't join you in the Hot Dog Hot Tub



You have to kind of wonder who was running the Wrigley Chewing Gum Company's marketing efforts in the 1950s.  To push gum as a desert, they ran a series of ads done in tri tone black, white and red, featuring recipes, and I use that term loosely, that had NOTHING to do with gum, except to say "Oh, yeah - your family needs to chew more of our gum."

And the recipes were all stinkers.  Cake recipes that told the reader to ""make a box cake according to instructions...decorate with gum drops...and for that clean cool taste, try Wrigley's Spearmint Gum..."

This dude above is one of their hot dog hot tube recipes.  Slice "franks" lengthwise and arrange in an oven safe dish.  Open a can of potato salad (note: they don't give you a recipe for the potato salad, they want you to open a "can" of it) and dump it the middle.  And then, in a coup de gras of cookery, they invote the reader to ADD A LITTLE MORE GLAMOUR by adding in some "catsup", or "chili" or "barbeque sauce".  

I have this vision of a Mom, in between John's, chewing that gum and taking this concoction out of the gas oven and setting down in front of her three children, each fathered by a different man, and each as street smart as their Mother and the eldest, a girl asks "Say, what do you call that?"  Mom cracks her gum like a pistol going off and says "I call that you dinner and breakfast.  I'm off to make money for your lunch.  See ya, toots."

13 comments:

  1. I didn't even know they ever even made canned potato salad! Totally cant imagine canned potato salad, nor baking it.... What a horrid idea, and the dogs in that dish look nasty.

    I also never understood making "mock" apple pie. yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm like canned potato salad? Really? But if Sweet Sue can can a whole chicken, why not potato salad.

      Delete
  2. to me, that photo looks like
    there's meringue in that bowl,
    surrounded by the franks
    which, freakily enough, is
    exactly the way i serve my franks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the middle looked like melted strawberry swirl ice cream.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. When Peenee has his house warming party, bring this dish.

      Delete
  4. I think I'd rather eat the "Glamourous Dish" that it's served in... that would get the guests Raving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so AMAZINGLY bad I want it framed in my kitchen. Canned baked potato salad? No one would believe it otherwise unless I could flick a hand an point to it on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweetie, if I would have known that you were going to hang it up, I'd have sent you the original from the magazine!

      Delete
  6. Catsup (their 50s spelling) is Glamorous and Bewitching, don't you find?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm late to this party, I know, but I've made a horrifying discovery: you can still buy canned potato salad (German style, extra good, per the deathless copy above). I do hope someone is inspired to buy some and recreate this vintage treasure...

    Why, yes - it is a quiet day at the office - why do you ask?

    ReplyDelete