Saturday, February 19, 2011

Goodies found in the basement!


The thing about cleaning out a basement in an older home is, that you never know what you are going to find.

I found twelve of these stickers, unused, on a top shelf in the basement of our vacation home: Château Cookie Du Nord, which is what we have named my mother's house.  I think they predate my stepfather's purchase of the house in the early 1960s.

So I looked at these and wondered, for a second, "who would use these?"  But I channeled my inner Mr. Peenee and had an epiphany: would Peenee throw these out?  Not without sending them to RMan's sister on her next birthday present.

So I kept them. Yay me! 

But seriously, beyond their camp value, I mean, who lives with this type of filth that your would have to label it with something that reads like a script for Sirius Black's mother's portrait?

There were other goodies to be found: a semi full glass bottle of Johnson Wax's Jubilee brand kitchen wax.- ten baby food jars hanging from their caps (which had been nailed to a floor joist (a very favorite handyman suggestion in Better Homes & Gardens in the 1950s) that held all manner of screws, nails, rivets, wire, clips, brads, staples, tacks (both carpet and thumb types) and wire nuts.   

You can never have enough wire nuts.

The estate auction is scheduled for the end of March.  I'm selling all of it, right down to the rafters. 

But not these - I'm thinking we need to frame these and hang them up somewhere...



4 comments:

  1. Do we ALL have an inner Peenee, do you suppose?

    In any case, I want these labels. Not for MY house, of course but to place them on other people's nastiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking that I just might need to break these apart and send them to faithful readers of this blog!

    ReplyDelete