Monday, February 1, 2010

Rested, I have returned


If Thombeau can recline, so can I. 

But my headboard, in the words of Gertrude Stein, is far more "more". 

In Shaker Heights, those of us with good taste (and a wry eye for all things over the top) dubbed this camp-style as "early Van Aken", an homage to the Jews who bought furnishing like this as a way of saying that they had "arrived".  Those that did buy this stuff, including certain members of moi family - but never my mother -  bought high style furniture like this at a place called Janis Interiors at Cedar Center in University Heights: a store specializing jewel encrusted this, and faux finished that.  If you could put a roman numeral after Louis' name and highlight it with faux gold gilt, Janis had it. I actually knew a woman who's mother had bought a Louis XXI table there.  Hideous? Beyond words.

Anyway, glad to be officially back - the whole month is ready to go off without a hitch.  Next sabbatical is planned for when they harvest my diseased gallbladder - whenever that might be.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to see you sweetie, but I'm more thrilled with the headboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love that bed ... but WHAT is going on with your gallbladder?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When was the last time you saw a bed with an integrated clock in its headboard design. I imagine my first stepmother receiving her men in this bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watch for an updated post today on the gallbladder.

    ReplyDelete