Monday, August 10, 2009

18207 Sherrington Road

Of all the houses we lived in in Shaker, this was my favorite. My parents bought this house in 1960 and we stayed here until 1968. Lots of memories, some good, some pretty horrific, but on the whole, this was the house where my best five years were spent. We'll leave it at that.

I've met the young couple that live there now and they are very nice. The house has fared OK in the 40+ years since we moved. With Federal overtones, this house is an absolute classic. At some point in the past 15 years one of the owners nailed up this Victorian decorative crap onto the Living room bay window and the semi elliptical hood over the front door and it looks like crap - the whole point of the Federal styling is its geometric shapes - its plainness is its joy. I hope the folk who live there now rip that shit right off and honor the beauty in its shapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment